Tuesday, September 8, 2009

think first then speak.

This morning we has a fairly serious software outage at work. Actually it was a multiple server problem, but the users don't know that and wouldn't understand if I told them. What they know was that the software that runs on those servers was unavailable and that they needed it to get their jobs done. Now I know that this is a stressful situation for them and I make allowances. But i am the only tech here at the butt crack of dawn and can only take one call at a time. I also do not have access to the servers, so while I can diagnose the problem and frantically call the on-call tech, the only other thing I can do is work my way through the rapidly growing call Que and repeat the same message to dozens of ticked off employees.
The winner of this mornings snotty bitch award goes to caller #42 here is a transcript.

Me: Help desk, this is Skippy.

42: it is about time, neither me or any of my co-workers can access Lotus notes and I had to wait on hold for 20 minutes. This is unacceptable, I am busy, make it work. Now!!

Me: Hold please... (get up, go refill coffee make sure it has the perfect coffee, sugar cream ratio, wander back to desk stopping to water the plastic plant) Sorry for the hold, was that Lotus you were having the problem with?

42: yes, and don't you dare put me on hold again I do not have time for this, you IT folks are so incompe.....

Me: Hold please...(count to 100 in Russian...thanks google) sorry about that I keep having phone difficulty this morning. As far as the Lotus issue it is company wide. Our server techs just arrived and are working on the problem. I will send you an e-mail when the e-mail system is back up. Thanks, have a nice day.


When will the entitled self absorbed whiny bitches of the world realize that they might make life harder on their targets, but they certainly make it more difficult on themselves?

No comments: